Domain Name Transfers
It’s important to understand that the term “transferring a domain name” is completely different from “pointing” a domain name. The word “transfer” is only used when transferring a domain name from one domain name registrar to another. If your intent is to simply point your domain name to your web hosting provider’s Name Servers, then please do so from within your Client Area.
For those of you who wish to transfer your domain name to regiSTAR.com from anther domain name registrar, then you’ll need to make sure to go through this check list first.
Domain Name Transfer Checklist:
- Make sure that the contact information associated with your domain name is current. Most importantly, that the Registrant and Administrative contact email address for your domain name is valid. To see the current contact information for your domain name, you’ll need to perform a Whois Search.
- You’ll need to contact your current domain name registrar and have them email you the “EPP Code” also known as the “Transfer Key” for your domain name. The transfer key is a unique set of characters associated with your domain name. A Whois Search will tell you who your domain name registrar is.
- Make sure that your current domain name registrar knows that your intent is to transfer your domain name away to another domain name registrar, and to release any potential lock which they may have imposed.
- You’ll need to make sure that your domain name it not about to expire. Most domain name transfers can take from 1 to 10 working days to complete. This depends on how quickly your current registrar takes to release the domain.
- Make sure to check your email often after you’ve initiated your domain name transfer to regiSTAR.com. You may or may not receive an email from the losing registrar or from the Central Registry asking you to confirm your intent to transfer your domain name. If you do not respond favorably to their emails, then the transfer request may be rejected, in which case we will need to start the transfer process over again.
- Unlike other domain name registrars who charge for a failed transfer attempt, we do not.
At the end of the transfer process, the winning registrar (Us) is mandated to add one year to your domain name(s) expiration date. Instead of paying the full price for a one year registration, because it’s a transfer, you pay a discounted price for the additional year we are forced to add. Lastly, we will send you a domain name transfer confirmation via email letting you know the transfer is complete.
If you already have an account with us, please first log into your Client Area then choose Domains then Transfer Domains to Us from your Client Area menu.
If you do not already an existing account with us, then click the link below to get started.